Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Getting Settled into Service at the Brooklyn Chest

             After a long process of figuring out my service site, things are finally in full-swing with my work at the Brooklyn Chest.  Since early last week, I have been diving headfirst into my work with the school-aged children at the TB hospital- a group of about 25 students ranging from ages 6-15.  The kids have gone above and beyond my expectations, responding with enthusiasm and creativity to art projects and activities I introduce.  These projects aim to empower them and encourage them to express themselves and play an active role in their environment. By creating personal works like self-portraits, I want them to develop a sense pride and self-awareness, and by producing decorative art for their ward, I encourage them to “leave their mark” on the hospital that they call home for so many months.
            Preparing for their self-portraits, I had a photoshoot with the kids the other day.  They loved starring in their own solo shots- it turns out we have some natural model/actors in the group.  The pictures are priceless- I hate to say it but because of hospital privacy policies I can’t post them here.
            Going into this work, I think I had expected to feel a general sense of hopelessness and depression.  Now a few weeks in, I can see how wrong I was.  Though every day brings its own emotional challenges as I hear heartbreaking stories of patients’ and staff members’ struggles, these stories are interwoven with a sense of perseverance that is so incredibly inspiring.  Even in the face of huge challenges, the kids are so responsive, receptive, and open- they want to rise above their circumstances and make the most of their bad situations.  At the end of the day, they are still able to look forward, rather than dwelling on the undeniable physical and emotional pain they face on a daily basis.  Talk about putting things in perspective.