Saturday, September 11, 2010

Devil’s Peak Hike, Baxter Dance Festival, and Langa Homestay

Finally back with many long-overdue updates on life in South Africa!
           
            Last month, following a late night out with the housemates in Observatory, we decided to de-tox with a hike up to Devil’s Peak (arguably the highest point on Table Mountain? I’m not entirely sure…).  The hike ended up being much more intense than I anticipated, but ultimately the struggle paid off with a spectacular sweeping view of Cape Town.  The peak was so windy I thought I was going to blow away, bracing myself to stay rooted to the mountain.  Luckily, someone had managed to get a couch up there (how, I can’t even begin to imagine, as the climb up required both hands and feet), so we were able to have a little rest before heading back down.  We finally stumbled back into the house six hours later, exhausted but feeling accomplished.  Needless to say, we all slept like babies that night.

resting at the peak on the mysterious couch... check out that view


            Erin, Danni, and I also recently had our first artistic experience at the Baxter Theater, checking out the Baxter Dance Festival.  The theater, which is a two-minute walk from our house, is gorgeous, and the show was spectacular.  I was blown away by the variety, talent, and creativity demonstrated by all of the dancers.  Showcasing everything from African modern to Contemporary theater/dance to Flamenco, they easily held my rapt attention throughout the two-plus hour performance. 

            Another recent adventure was our homestay in Langa, one of Cape Town’s townships.  We stayed in pairs with local host families, and the weekend included checking out local bars and taverns, sampling the local food, getting a tour of Langa, and attending an African-style Roman Catholic church service on Sunday morning.  Overall, the weekend was a definite learning experience, with lots of surprises which undoubtedly left me with a much deeper understanding of the culture of township life. 

Me with my host family
on the tour of Langa
Me with a chicken head- we got to see the entire process, from cage to killing to plucking to cooking.  Honestly, a little more than I wanted to know.